Bakhyt worked for 8 years at GRATA International, Kazakhstan’s largest law firm, and led its Dispute Resolution Practice over the past five years. Earlier, Bakhyt worked for four years at the international law firm SALANS (currently, Dentons Kazakhstan).
Chambers & Partners, an international rating agency, assigned Bakhyt with an individual rating. He is also recommended by the international rating agencies, such as Legal 500 and Asia Law Profiles.
Bakhyt was involved in a large number of high-profile civil cases in Kazakhstan. He has significant experience acting as an arbitrator in Kazakhstan's arbitration institutions. He acted as an expert and drafted expert opinions on numerous litigation and arbitration proceedings conducted in England, Cyprus, Germany, and Russia.
- Advising a Chinese general contractor in a US$ 300+ million dispute with a customer over an increased cost of work in the course of an oil refinery reconstruction project;
- Representing and advising, for eight years, the largest oil and gas construction company in Kazakhstan in a wide variety of construction disputes (over 20) for tens of billions of tenge (recovering the cost of additional work, challenging of transactions, developing protection mechanisms, establishing grounds for the jurisdiction of Kazakhstan courts, bypassing arbitration clauses, challenging of bank guarantees, etc.);
- Representing and advising over 15 companies on rehabilitation and bankruptcy matters (including the largest paper processing company in Kazakhstan, as well as oil companies);
- Representing and advising the Kazakhstan’s largest metallurgy company in more than 10 court cases over fraud, damages, challenging of transactions, etc.;
- Acting as a Kazakh law expert on statute of limitation in a construction dispute before an international arbitral tribunal in London (opposing, as an expert, to one of the authors of the Kazakhstan’s Civil Code); drafting over 10 various expert opinions for foreign courts and arbitral tribunals (in England, Russia, Cyprus, and Germany) on Kazakh civil law matters, including rehabilitation and bankruptcy laws.
Areas of Practice:
Representation in civil and administrative cases, international arbitration, advice on disputes and potential disputes (including criminal law), white collar crime (including fraud, corruption, etc.), internal investigations, asset tracing, rehabilitation and bankruptcy; disputes on appealing governmental actions and acts.
“Impressive as an expert and a litigator" and "an authority in dispute resolution”.
"Impressive as an expert and a litigator" and "an authority in dispute resolution".
"Bakhyt Tukulov is a highly professional specialist. He gives practical oriented advice and is always ready to answer all questions which arise."
"With Bakhyt on board, Grata significantly enhanced its practice. He is highly regarded by clients, competitors, judges and students."
"His advice was very useful and he's been very good at protecting us as much as possible."
Another adds: "He understands what we need commercially as well as legally".